Constraint Induced Movement Therapy
Time & Location
About the Event
Constraint Induced Movement Therapy is an evidence-based therapeutic approach to rehabilitation of upper limb movement after stroke, multiple sclerosis (MS) and traumatic brain injury (TBI). The techniques of mCIMT are a family of treatments that teach the brain to ‘rewire’ after injury and can be used together for a powerful 2-3 week patient program, or taken as elements to boost the impact of your upper limb therapy.
Join us for a comprehensive experiential training program where you will get to understand which of your patients could benefit from mCIMT and the degree of active movement required. You will develop your knowledge and skills in delivering the key elements of mCIMT including:
- The behavioural elements or what Dr Edward Taub terms ‘The Transfer Package’, critical for engagement and behavioural change in the longer term. At the end of the training, you will also understand how you can apply these techniques not just to upper limb recovery, but also other areas of your therapy to increase client participation and follow through and improve treatment outcomes, including in areas like cognition, perception and exercise uptake.
- Shaping: Learn how to ‘shape’ physical performance and motor learning using an evidence based incremental approach. We’ll explore how to maximise gains through timing, targets and feedback.
- Task-specific training: Learn the key principles of task-specific training and why it is so important in producing lasting changes in motor system networks, motor learning and function.
- Constraint: Surprisingly, this is the least important part of the mCIMT protocol. We’ll explore when and how to use it to support the other elements of your treatment delivery.
Robyn Emmanuel is an OT with clinical specialism in neuro-rehabilitation. She trained in Constraint Induced Movement Therapy with Dr David Morris (Taub Therapy Institute International Trainer, Taub Therapy Institute are the developers of CIMT, see www.uab.edu/citherapy for further information) in 2015. Since this time, she has used mCIMT in private practice and public health and trained many therapists in its use. In WA Health (P3 OT, Neuro / Stroke Rehabilitation) she co-developed and delivered mCIMT training and supported and co-mentored a large team of OTs, physiotherapists and therapy assistants in community rehabilitation across the Perth metropolitan area in their delivery of mCIMT.
Training package details:
Your training package includes 11.5 CPD hours, via:
- one and a half day workshop held at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital (10 CPD hours, practical emphasis)
Saturday 21/09/19 8:45am - 4:00pm and Sunday 22/09/2019 9:00am - 1:00pm
- 1.5 hour online group mentoring session with Robyn one month post workshop (Thursday 24/10/19 4:00 - 5:30pm). This is designed to address any questions that arise with implementation, problem-solve and support your effective delivery of mCIMT with your patients and clients.
- CIMT - 1.5 days & online$595$5950$0